Saturday, October 20, 2012

20/10/12: Vilalba

These posts seem to be getting earlier each day.

Today was only 18km or 20km, depending on whose guide one is reading. Either way, despite taking my time this morning while packing, and then hanging about somewhat while I watched the market set up in the chill morning air, I still arrived here in Vilalba before the albergue had opened. Oh well... no problem. I enjoyed sitting on the mat in the warm sunshine, listening to music while the cleaning was finished.

Today's stage: well, there's not a lot to be said about it in terms of scenery or buildings largely because although the sun is now well and truly out, there was either a very heavy mist indeed or it was a long, low cloud that we all walked through on our way across the hills. Although there was hardly any change of level today I think we're still up reasonably high - high enough to be in low clouds. It made the air very cold, and I walked with an extra layer on and a hat. I kept my hands in my pockets because it had never occurred to me that I might need gloves!

I really enjoyed my walk today. It seems it has taken almost all of the seven weeks since my departure to finally come to this point of simple acceptance of each day and what it brings. And of course today is only half done, but my point is that I finally feel as if I've rid myself of a need to plan or to concern myself with things like times or weather. To just walk out in the morning and watch the scenery unfold brings (it would seem) a great deal of pleasure. Or maybe it's just that the company is good and we're all able to make the most of these very good albergues (that are subsidised by the Galician government). In any case I'm certainly enjoying the camino in Galicia far more than all the mess and disturbance up there in the western stretches of Asturias.

Not really a great deal more to add just now. En route I passed a 15th century chapel, restored in the 18th century and that had a rather bizarre attached graveyard where all the vaults had these elaborate Romanesque style (so the sign told me) crosses on the top. I also walked across a beautiful 15th century stone bridge with double arches. Quite lovely. Of course I've got photos of it all for later :0)

Just now I've made a sandwich from yesterday's cache, and all necessaries are done. I'm now going to enjoy the sunshine and relax for a while before we tackle the supermarket run. One small logistical problem is that while they've provided a kitchen here, with four ring stove, they've neglected to supply and cups, utensils or pans! I'm going to put Carmen on the case since she's much cuter than me ;0) Will let you know how we get on.

Tomorrow is down to Baamonde and is another short stage - even shorter than today's I believe. That's fine - I'm in no rush. The final two days of this route join the Camino Frances, so while there will likely be a lot more pilgrims about, it might make the more relaxed airs of these quieter albergues something to be treasured. I'll find out for sure in a few more days ;0)

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment