Saturday, October 13, 2012

13/10/12: Avilés

A nice evening out in Gijón last night - all the bars and restaurants gradually filling up with old and young alike, and plenty of takers still for the outdoor seating. Judging by the flora seen along the camino Asturias has a very mild winter climate.

Anyway, we did the tourist thing and wandered around the town, eventually settling on another bar offering a "pilgrim special". I think the meal actually consisted more of the included wine than it did of the side dishes of chorizo, fried potatoes and sundry other foodstuffs. Still, it did the job ;0)

We left this morning at another lesiurely 08:00-something and wandered out past the marina (the indicated camino) and found a cafe able to serve a form of breakfast. After that it was a very pleasant walk out past the river and through a park.

At the edge of the city we came immediately to the industrial outlands. Oh my! Mile after mile after mile of increasingly ugly buildings, culminating i


Tell you what. I just wrote my entire blog for today when suddenly the connection failed and I was presented with a blank page. I find I'm currently in no mood to be bothered to rewrite the rest of my day. Suffice to say I'm here in Avilès, it's sunny and warm and the albergue is fine. Tomorrow is a hard stage - 32km but a lot of ascent and descent. I expect to part company with Joost tomorrow, who wants a less taxing day. With almost no other pilgrims visible on these stages I imagine I'll complete my journey to Santiago alone, although the camino is always full of surprises.

Right, that's it from me for now. Time to go and search for tonight's food.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with dinner and with tomorrow's trek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the food went well :0) Tomorrow's (now today's) trek... see new post :0)

    ReplyDelete