Friday, September 14, 2012

14/09/12: Pau & Tourism

Today was a lot of fun. You might even call it a day off.

We spent a lovely evening last night chez Nicolas and Maguelie (sp?), where we enjoyed a selection of regional white wines and fresh mussels, along with a selection of dried sausage and some wonderful home cooked tart.

I slept well and this morning over breakfast we were invited to extend our stay, so I happily accepted. Tonight they have planned a barbecue but today we went into Pau and did "the tourist thing".

Parking near the main station (which is free. UK town councils take note!!) we took the free funicular tram up to the "Terasse de Pau" from where there is a stunning view across almost the entire range of the "Pyrénées Atlantique". Amazing:


We then went and took a stroll around the old town in the warming sun - 26 degrees, just perfect:



 We also got to visit the impressive Chateau Henri IV which was restored in the late 19thC (and according to the tastes of the time, somewhat sadly). In any event it was an impressive chateau and despite what I took to be a few embellishments the interiors were stunning and gave a great sense of how it must have been to belong to the royal family in France during the 16th century. Interior photography was not allowed, but I imagine you'll find plenty of images online:





After a very nice light lunch we came back to Oussou (having gained another stamp in the passport) and apart from going to get my hair cut in about ten minutes, we're looking forward to a relaxing Friday night. Tomorrow morning Robert is very kindly driving me back to the church at Morlaas, where I departed the camino yesterday, and I shall take up the route to Lescar.

It's also time to bid a farewell to Robert's "chariot" which he adapted to carry his rucksack due to having a bad back:


I'm two days from Oloron-Sainte-Marie and the start of my trip into the Pyrénées. Weather forecast for the next five days: sunshine and 25 degrees :0) Couldn't be better, it really couldn't!

3 comments:

  1. it's the hardship and loneliness that would get me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes - as you can see, I'm having a truly terrible time ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds rugged but, hey, it's gotta be done!!

    We had supper with Mary last night, and she was in top form. She said she hadn't found out how to sign up to post comments so she asked if I could let you know how much she is enjoying reading your blog. (She doesn't have a google account, and I could only work it out via my gmail account, so I wasn't able to give any advice ......).

    Hope you enjoy the rest of your "etape" in Pau!

    ReplyDelete