Thursday, September 13, 2012

13/09/12: Morlaas

We had fun last night preparing the bought food. There were five other pilgrims sharing the gite so it was lively. They were very pleasant although there wasn't so much talking.

We set out in a light but constant drizzle. Considering I've been walking for twelve days now I reckon I'm doing okay if this is the first rain I've seen. So we got a chance to test out the rain gear - seems mine got voted 'favourite poncho' (although I'm not in this photo):


The rain was only with us for an hour or 90 minutes but it kept things nice and cool. My waterproofs worked fantastically well, so I'm pleased to have been able to give them a light test ahead of any serious downpours.

We were all very jolly as we trundled along together. It was more of a stroll than a walk - a mere 18km to Morlaas. In fact our agenda for today was created by dear Robert, who kindly invited us all to his daughter's house just south of Morlass (our destination) where we could share a meal together, spend the night, and tomorrow go and tour Pau (8km away) without the rucksacks!

I saw Christiane coming up a hill in the drizzle and thought she'd been sold a waterproof burqa!


A little way along our walk we encountered this beautifully thought out 'eco house' and the owner - a young chap of about 25 - invited us to take a look. I was absolutely impressed with his ideas. Not only did it incorporate all available technology but he'd built it ALL himself! Two years in, and it's shaping into a fantastic house:



The rain stopped and off came the rain gear. We spent a lot of time walking through beautiful woodland, noticing the changing colours and forms of the landscape. We're not far from the Pyrenees now. This lovely little bridge on the path shows the care given to the camino in this region:


More fields of maize (they must grow thousands of tons of the stuff down here!) but this time with colourful floral borders:


First view of the church at Morlaas:


Followed shortly by a view of the surprisingly impressive main portal, where we were met by Roberts wife Magalie:







Here's a view of part of the old town:


And so ends another interesting and enjoyable day on the way to Santiago. I'm sitting in the kitchen making use of the wifi and electricity, soon to meet the rest of the family. I imagine I'll be able to update the blog tomorrow after the visit to Pau.

Bye for now :0)

2 comments:

  1. It wd be nice if one of your companions could do a photo of you in pilgrim kit for the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's one of me outside the church at St Christaud. I've also downloaded a few from François' iPhone, so maybe I'll post some more later :0)

    ReplyDelete